Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Beating a Hangover

We all know the worst part of drinking is The Morning After. So I'd be remiss if I didn't share the strategies that work for me in avoiding and treating hangovers. Of course my methods won't work for everyone, so feel free to leave your own tips in the comments.

First you have to understand the hangover. A big part of it is dehydration: that's what gives you the pounding headache and cottonmouth. By keeping yourself hydrated, you may be able to avoid a hangover altogether. This method has helped me since my uncle shared it with me well, before I could legally drink. If I know there's a party or other event coming up, I'll make sure to get plenty of water the week before. That's right, I prepare my body for a night of drinking. The night I am drinking, I'll slip in some glasses of water. That usually works for me.

If you get a hangover anyway, the sooner you can get rehydrated, the better you will feel. I usually keep Gatorade on hand for just such an occasion and it usually works wonders.

Now about that stomach...
A night of drinking can tear up your stomach. A long time ago, I read that burnt toast can help because the carbon on top of the bread helps to settle your stomach. It tastes awful, but it does seem to help a hangover. I've tried it several times. Once you get something in your stomach, you may be able to keep more food down and kick the hangover faster.

Which brings me to the next cure: a greasy breakfast. I know so many people who swear by Waffle House as a hangover cure. Personally I haven't gone to Waffle House with a hangover but plenty of people do.

Finally I guess there's the "hair of the dog" remedy. I've never tried this myself because it seems to me it would set up a cycle of perpetual drinking, but I had an ex who tried it and said it worked like a charm. Just have a little beer or a shot and supposedly you'll be fine. I guess this is why Mimosas and Bloody Mary's are so popular at brunch

So I will leave you with this last bit of wisdom which has usually held true for me. Beer before liquor, never been sicker. Liquor before beer, everything's clear. Happy partying and may your hangovers be either nonexistent or over quickly.